Wattpad works

14 February 2016

Daily Ambivalence - Grover Cleveland

Tomorrow is President's Day but which president should I celebrate?

That's not an easy question, especially when you apply the, granted, atypical standard I use to select the presidents I want to honor.

This year I will turn my thoughts to Grover Cleveland, and it's not just because you can buy his likeness on a mousepad, though I have to admit that was the deciding factor this year.

Some people might choose to honor and celebrate past presidents because of notable things they did or didn't do. Starting wars or ending wars. Freeing races or deciding that it's stupid to not let half the population vote. Those were all notable.

When I vote for a president though, that kind of thing is what I expect from them. They are supposed to do big things like that. So why should I honor them for doing their job?

No, like I said, I use a different standard. I am devoting my President's Day to Grover Cleveland because of threes things:


  1. I already mentioned the mousepad.
  2. I think it's cool that he was named after a Sesame Street character.
  3. Cleveland the city is awesome for tons of reasons, but going with the number 3, I will restrict it to that number:
    • Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster are from Cleveland (if you don't know who those two are, shame on you).
    • The Cuyahoga River, which runs through Cleveland, catches on fire from time to time. Yeah, I know, what the hell?
    • Cleveland has the same name as the 22nd and 24th president of the United States.

Happy Grover Cleveland Day tomorrow.

Tomorrow is President's Day but which president should I celebrate . . . eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment