Wattpad works

24 June 2013

Pithy things - I'm not as tough as I used to be

For the last few months I have been posting Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. This post will keep that string going, but it is late. Here's why:


Sometimes being polite and considerate is stupid. Last Friday afternoon I identified - being in tune with my body as I am - that one of my molars (#14 as I found out today) was starting to hurt. It was late Friday and I debated calling my dentist and scheduling an appointment. Maybe I'd be fine toughing it out. I mean, how bad could it be?

The answer to that question is - bad.

My dentist has a "please call me on the weekend if you are in pain" policy, but I dislike being an inconvenience to people. So, I hunkered down and put on my "man up" cap. I just started repeating a mantra in my mind - "It's not 48 hours. It's two days."

I did hold out until Monday, but the "manning up" part suffered some major blows.

Late last night after I had called my wife names, asked her to rub my neck or my shoulders and then screamed "Don't touch me there!" and then finally screamed to no one in particular to just cut it out of me, I was in no uncertain terms told that this had been my idea and that I was not giving birth. Which was true. Even though it didn't feel true.

And you know what? My dentist didn't thank me this morning for keeping his weekend intact. He was mad. Seems he's not one of those dentists who wears leather, rides motorcycles, and likes to get eaten by plants named Audrey II.

All of this resulted in me going to an endodontist and getting an old root canal redone.

On the plus side, I broke down and got laughing gas, which was a first.

I can't believe how great laughing gas is. Can you buy it over the counter? You must. Does anybody know which aisle in Costco they sell the nitrous oxide?

No comments:

Post a Comment